Around the world, governments, organizations, and corporations are getting hip to the #opendata movement. There are literally terabytes of data out there. Now, it's up to you to do something awesome with it.
What to build:
A visualization, story, or experience using insights you’ve collected by analyzing at least 2 open datasets.
Can I submit something I've already built?
Sure, but you must add / analyze new data sets for this hackathon.
Does it have to work IRL?
YES! Mockups and slideshows are boring. Show us something we can use. It doesn't have to be in the app store or open source, but we do have to be able to test it.
What's in it for me?
Our sponsor Socrata has generously donated an Apple Sport Watch and are also offereing personal mentoring from the Socrata Developer Evangelism team on how to grow, market, and sell your app.
I want to participate, but I don't know where / how to start. Halp!
No problemo. We've compiled a list of data sources, examples, tutorials, and ideas just for you.
How can I find a teammate?
Head over to the participants page and reach out to a fellow hacker.
What's Summer Jam?
It's a series of 8 online hackathons that are open to everybody, everywhere! Check out the full schedule at summerjam.challengepost.com.
- You must submit a visualization, story, or experience using insights you’ve collected from analyzing at least 2 open datasets.
- You must provide access to and testing instructions for your submission.
- Use any language, framework, library you want.
- If you’re submitting an existing app / project, you must include a description of what you’ve added for this hackathon.
- No malicious code — pls don't hack the gibson!
Socrata Grand Prize
- Apple Watch Sport, choice of size and band color
- Personal mentoring from the Socrata Developer Evangelism team on how to grow, market, and sell your app
- Prominent placement of your app within the Socrata App Marketplace with special "Built during Summer Jam!" branding. The goal of mentorship will be to prepare your app for acceptance into the App Marketplace.
Provided by MLH: Personalized MLH jerseys for the best student team and a chance to win direct entry, with travel reimbursement, to Hack for Planet for the best student project during Summer Jam!
All you can EaaS
Provided by ChallengePost: Servers are expensive 'mkay? Save some cash with 'all you can EaaS': 1 year of your favorite subscription entertainment service. Choose from Spotify, Rdio, Netflix, Hulu or HBO Now.
Digital Ocean Credits - $100
Provided by Digital Ocean the top two teams each win $100 in digital ocean credits.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Director of Developer Experience, Socrata
Manager, World Bank Open Data Initiative
Tom Schenk Jr.
Chief Data Officer, City of Chicago
BetaNYC, Executive Director
Managing Director, Open Data Watch
Quality of Idea
Includes creativity and originality
Implementation of Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer
Includes the potential impact on users